According to the ASPCA, approximately 3.4 million cats enter shelters every year in the US – and of those, only 100,000 are reunited with owners, another 1.3 million are adopted – and a heartbreaking 1.4 million cats are euthanized in shelters every year.
That’s why they have declared June to be Adopt a Shelter Cat Month! If you have room in your home, heart, and life, here are 24 great reasons to consider adding a cat (or two!) to your family this June:
- Cats are adorable.
- Cat owners are 40% less likely to have a heart attack.
- Owning a cat has been shown to help with the symptoms of depression.
- They are meticulous groomers.
- Petting a cat reduces stress and lowers blood pressure.
- The entertainment value of cats cannot be overstated!
- Cats can tell when you are sad and anxious, and dial up the love in response.
- From apartments to palaces, cats fit in any sized home.
- They fit in with almost anyone – kids, dogs, other cats – they’re agreeable like that.
- Think of all the great videos you can make together!
- Housebreaking takes about a minute, and they’re easy to clean up after.
- Studies show cats go with the flow and let you dictate the level of interaction.
- They love to play!
- They’re great hunters.
- Cats are easy to please and are the embodiment of contentment.
- They have been shown to help people cope with grief.
- You can train them to do tricks!
- They’re so soft!
- Children who grow up with cats have been shown to learn empathy and develop the ability to relate to others.
- Children who are exposed to cats before the age of 1 are less likely to suffer from allergies, too!
- All of the purring!
- Speaking of purrs, cats purr at a frequency that promotes bone strength, along with healing in the muscles, tendons, and ligaments of their human friends.
- They love unconditionally.
- All of the cuddles!
So as you can see, a cat (or two!) can bring so much joy! Shelter cats may take time to learn to trust again, but if you can help them unpack their emotional baggage, they’ll be your friends for life.